The Stape Server GTM App not working

Hi

I installed the Stape Server GTM App, filled out web GTM script, custom domain, custom loader and cookie keeper. I also enabled it it through App Embeds.

I configured everything in Web GTM and Server GTM + on Stape.io. My GA4 is currently set through the Google & YouTube app - is that fine or should I disable it and only have it in GTM?

I had luck getting it to work sometimes during the day, but right now it is not working. It’s like the App is not deploying the Custom Loader. Should I put it directly in theme.liquid? What about Cookie Information - could that in some way block it or?

I just need help where to look. I feel like I tried everything - but maybe it’s something simple… :slight_smile:

Did you guys have any issues with the app and what solved it?

I configured everything in Web GTM and Server GTM + on Stape.io. My GA4 is currently set through the Google & YouTube app - is that fine or should I disable it and only have it in GTM?

You should ultimately have it one place only of course, otherwise you’re over-reporting

I had luck getting it to work sometimes during the day, but right now it is not working. It’s like the App is not deploying the Custom Loader. Should I put it directly in theme.liquid? What about Cookie Information - could that in some way block it or?

You of course can add the custom loader directly to theme.liquid, wether your Cookie Information (CMP, right?) will block it - well it depends on how it’s configured. It shouldn’t by default

Did you guys have any issues with the app and what solved it?

this the first time I’m hearing of it working in periods, either something is wrong or you have a highly custom store. Would you mind sharing the URL so that we can take a look?

1 Like

Hi Dan,

It’s this site: https://simplychocolate.dk/

Earlier it looked like it worked and then it stopped and has not worked since:

Not sure where to look. Thansk for helping out!

This is the attemtped URL in the loader:

https://ss.simplychocolate.dk/hequqtnn.js?id=%20GTM-TDZKCG7L

This is the proper URL:

https://ss.simplychocolate.dk/hequqtnn.js?id=GTM-TDZKCG7L

Now, given that is is supposed to embedded by the app, could you please take a screenshot of it? ‘%20’ is unicode for space, I trust when you’ve put the GTM id into the app, there’s an extra space in the field

1 Like

Now GTM is firing, but it looks like it fires GA4 two times:

I have GA4 enabled in GTM and in the Shopify App - so that would explain 2x page_view I guess, but when I disconnect GA4 from the app, nothing is showing at all.

Should I set send_page_view to false in the GA4 Config on Web GTM perhaps or what could cause it?

a) even though you load GTM properly now, there is still something trying to load it with wrong id. just saying

b) like I said before, you should have one source of reporting. If after disabling the native integration you see no hits - something is wrong with your GTM setup then.

1 Like

a) I found it right after posting again. The space was removed in the App but not in the Custom Loader I placed right after < head >. It is fixed now.

b) I can try to double check, but I did everything these guides say: How to use the stape app for setting up Shopify server-side tagging & Server-side Google Analytics 4 for Shopify - Stape and I haven’t had issues implementing on Wordress, Magento 2 and Custom.

Can you see anything wrong rigth now I could check?

Hi Dan

I disabled GA4 in the Google & YouTube App in Shopify. It looks like data is flowing in now. It looks like it’s double traffic and a lot of Unassigned right now. Do you know what could cause that?

Also… I started getting events like view_item_stape, add_to_cart_stape etc - is that from the app? I only see them in det Web GTM and they are not send to Server GTM.

Should I create event triggers for them as well so they can be send to Server GTM? I only have events for view_item, add_to_cart, begin_checkout, purchase right now.

Thank you for all your help so far!

Hi again,

So data is flowing and all ecommerce events now has _stape (purchase_stape, add_to_cart_stape, view_item_stape etc).

So I guess it is working, but now my data in GA4 is altered a bit. What would be best practice? Should I leave the name as it is and start collecting the event from scratch our rename all _stape-events and populate the exisiting ones, like this?

Also… I’m not seing GA4 in Tag Explorer or Analytics Debugger anymore. Is that normal - or at least OK?

Hi,

Looks like you have some problems with GA4 tags on your WEB container. Seems to be you use dataLayer events name as events name for GA4 - it is not correct and because of this you have incorrect event names on GA4.
I’d recommend you to launch preview mode on web container and check every tag. If you dont know how to do it here is good video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU6VEztDo5E
Also you can find tons of materials regarding GA4 debugging and problems on Analytics Mania channel and blog

Evening, I’ve been using the Stape Server GTM app all day on my Shopify development site and it has been working. This evening I have been testing and the app seems to have stopped working. When I check the settiing the GTM- bit of th GTM contrainer id is missing. I could swear when I set it up last night this was included. Has there been an update to the app or could this be an intermittent issue?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Al

Here’s the error I get in the console
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 23.21.20

I wonder if that sounds like a bug. I’ve passed it on to the devs.
To fix it quickly - just use custom domain and container id of your container, in that case everything should work fine.