Stape logs - no ATC, IC with error, but PUR was ok

That’s pretty normal behavior.

Request send to sGTM. Connection lost, but sGTM was able to send all these requests to GA4/FB, etc.

Yeah, that’s right, for some users I may encounter this situation with lost connection or leaving the page too quickly.
But all the ATC events from that day? I think it’s a bit too much.

Initially, this post was related to view_item problems that I found in logs.
You did some updates and for a while there were no problems.
But taking a look at view_item events from yesterday, 24th June I noticed huse discrepancies between GA4 and Data Client.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to find bugs in the logs :slight_smile:
I have some problems with some orders not being correctly associated with my ads campaigns or no being tracked at all. So looking in the logs I was hoping to find some clues. But all I
discovered were some other problems :))

Thanks,
Alin

All fine. And thanks for finding bugs :slight_smile:
We discussed your case internally, and this does not look like our bug.

This can be because of this:

1. GA4 batch view item always with page_view
  2. There are issues with tag sequencing and view_item triggered before the ga4 config. And this is why the server URL is not set properly.

To find out why I highly recommend installing the Logger tag. We often use it for ga4 debugging Troubleshooting server-side tagging using server GTM logs - Stape

It will log Body and you will see what inside batch requests.
Also, check that the ga4 config on the web is always firing first.

Thanks for your reply, @Denis

I will definitely try Logger Tag.
But I am a little bit worried because @Dan said before in this post that he didn’t find any fault in my setup. And I didn’t make any major changes in the setup since then.
(BTW, you have acces to my GTM in case you need to take a closer look.)

So, I will try to find some more clues with Logger Tag.
For your no. 2 situation, I am pretty sure that this was solved when I started to fire view_item event on DOM loaded.
But as I said, this is not happening only with view_item, but with ATC and other custom events. For BC and PUR looks like it’s ok. Or at least 90% ok. :slight_smile:

I suspect some caching problems, some Flatsome related issue with ATC behaviour (using FB pixel helper I am unable to see ATC because the page reloads very fast, but I can see the events (at least part of them) in my reports).

I cannot explain this.
GA4 is ok, but Data Client not.

Unfortunately, Logger didnt help me.

Hey @Alin_Tatarca

499 - client shut off in the middle of processing the request through the server

An abundance of those + the fact that it’s particular events you have a problem with, to me, signals that your lack of logs might just be due to a fact those events fire too late on page, before redirect or something of the sort. Did you by a chance explore this ‘dimension’ ?

Note that DT when sending a POST also downloads a script, so if we consider what I outlined above true - that could explain why you have more GA4 hits compared to DT.

Hey, @Dan

I am aware that this could be a caching problem since I am using Flatsome + WP Rocket.
Some “ajax thing” from Flatsome/Woo can mess up this, or some script delaying from WP Rocket, but I tried both - with and without script delaying on GA and GTM and I had the same results.
But I am sure that is something there.

The reason that I am worried is that I did not make major updates in GTM, because things went well until a week ago, lets say. Thats why I suspect that maybe some update for Flatsome or WP Rocket did this mess.

And to be honest, I am not a pro with reading the logs :slight_smile: Also its a bit weird that all ATC events from a specific day to have 499 status code. 70-80%? Ok! But 100% with errors?
And since I have only 3 days of logs, I cannot see the bigger picture, to find where the sh*t hit the fan. :frowning:

well that would be 100% of the recorded ones, we can imagine a bulk remained unrecorded, which would fit my hypothesis.

And to be honest, I am not a pro with reading the logs

And myself I have nothing to contribute on Flatsome + WP Rocket :slight_smile: but if like you said, it’s the only thing that changed - I would look in that direction

Hey @Alin_Tatarca

So I was correct in my assumptions, here we go:

1. When I add to cart - the page almost immediately reloads (I assume for the sake of showing the sidebar)

2. This makes its so there are like…milliseconds for DL push to occur and relevant tags to fire

3. As you can see from screenshot below, DT hits are consistently ‘canceled’ (hence the 499 error logged)

this happens precisely because the redirect occurs that quick, I don’t know if it’s clear enough but here’s a demonstration, note how page is refreshed almost instantly after dataLayer push

My suggestions at this point are:

a) remove ‘Send all from DataLayer’ checkbox, I hardly think you need the full DL
b) force DT to send GET (Settings section, Request Type - you have it on Auto currently)

@Denis this FYI, in case you have any other suggestions, thanks!

A big-big thank you, guys!

I will implement the suggestions and see how it goes.
I will also let you know if this was solved.

Hello, guys,

Unfortunately, after a couple of days of monitoring, things are the same.

(these are the results from today)

I did remove Send all from DataLayer in DT ATC Tag.
And forced DT to send Get.

BC and PUR are acting normally, no errors.

So, in this case, should I look for some help at Flatsome and/or WPRocket?

Thanks,
Alin

Hey @Alin_Tatarca

1. Your most straightfoward solution would be to either a) not have page reaload when you add to cart b) fire add_to_cart event on that second page (after reload) - if your devs can pull off either of options - your issue will go away

2. Within a month or so, we will be releasing updates to our TT/FB tags that might also contribute to fix your situation, however this would be secondary and if you want a bullet-proof solution - refer to item 1 of this list.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks, @Dan for your reply.

Ok, I will try to find a solution with the dev/Flatsome team.

But in this case, should I keep those settings for DT ATC Tag?
Send all from DL checked - I think this will not hurt so much.
But “Send GET” it’s still a must?

Thanks,
Alin

PS - can you please give me a sign here, on this post, when you will have updates on TT/FB tags? I am watching your updates on your FB page and here, in this community, but just in case I miss smth.

@Alin_Tatarca if you go the route described in item 1, then keep whatever settings you want in DT.

as to updates on those tags - I will let you know, but it’s not that they will necessarily address the issue, although they might