GTM SS vs Webhook - Data accuracy

Still learning how Stape works, but I have a question about data accuracy. If I understand correctly, the GTM SS relies on the GTM JS tag to collect information from the user and send server requests to ad platforms.

So with the GTM SS setup, events will be sent via pixel (JS) and via server (GTM SS), with deduplication.

And if we use webhooks, there will not be any frontend code and all will be handled with backend code. We will send POST requests to an endpoint with a body payload with event data.

In terms of data accuracy, which solution is better? Will the GTM JS + GTM SS always send more data points or not necessarily?

Hello,

Server-side GTM is essentially an HTTP engine, of course the default approach is have the source of singnal be your client-side GTM, mostly because it’s user interaction with the site in the browser is what we’re tracking.

So with the GTM SS setup, events will be sent via pixel (JS) and via server (GTM SS), with deduplication.

while true in general, not all destinations support concurrent tracking and have a deduplication concept. For some you would just have tags fire either on the web OR the sever.

And if we use webhooks, there will not be any frontend code and all will be handled with backend code. We will send POST requests to an endpoint with a body payload with event data.

In terms of data accuracy, which solution is better? Will the GTM JS + GTM SS always send more data points or not necessarily?

If your POST requests from the backend will contain the same amount of data (and that depends on the destionation in question) including referrers, user ip address, a selection of cookies etc. - then there won’t be any significant difference. There are nuances to this depending on destinations, nature of events you’re tracking etc.

1 Like

Ok, got it! And can the GTM SS container work independently or does it always need a GTM Web container associated with it to properly work? In the case of the GTM SS container working independently, handling everything via webhooks (I assume).

It can work independently, sure.