GTM GA4 Tag Configuration Question

Hey there,

I have a question about the GTM GA4 Tag Configuration in Step 5 your article How to Set Up GA4 Tracking Using Google Tag Manager Server-Side Container.

#1. Is the Server Container URL the Tagging Server URL? I don’t have the option for {{tranoprt_url}} or {{transport_url}}

#2. I have a previously GA4 setup that uses “Send a page view event when this configuration loads” as part of the GA4 Configuration. Can I leave both that option and “Send to server container” or is that not needed?

Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Yes. Tagging Server URL is Server Container URL
  2. Yes. You can leave this option as is.
1 Like

Hi Denis,

Thank you for your answers.

I had the same problem like “LegendaryCanine”. This is why I have made a lot of tests in the last days.

sGTM debug mode only gets the page_view event when “Send a page view event when this configuration loads” is ticked in the GTM Web Container. If this is not the case, the GTM debug mode (and GA4 property) do NOT get the page_view event - using the variable {{Event Name}} in GTM Server Container.

Can you kindly check this how-to article on How to Set Up GA4 Tracking Using GTM Server-Side Container - Stape if it is still up to date?

Kind regards;
Melvin at Kapwa Marketing

Hi Melvin,

sGTM debug mode only gets the page_view event when “Send a page view event when this configuration loads” is ticked in the GTM Web Container.

it will show them each time it recevies such an event, there are two ways to send it from the web:

a) have that checkbox on in Config tag
b) have a separate event tag (or inline tag) sending the page_view

the GTM debug mode (and GA4 property) do NOT get the page_view event - using the variable {{Event Name}} in GTM Server Container.

see above, if that checkbox is off and you’re not sending page_views explicitly, then there would be no original trigger for such an event to ever show up in server container preview.

server side tag (as is it is described in the article, which is proper) will send all incoming GA4 hits and will grab event name from the corresponding variable in event data. In fact you can leave that box for event name blank, and it will still work as intended. But this is not related to your situation.

1 Like

Hi Dan,

thank you very much for your reply!

Kind regards,
Melvin at Kapwa Marketing