Google Tag Manager Server-Side & Microsoft Advertising Universal Event Tracking

Dear Stape Team,

Do you maybe know how can one implement server-side Microsoft Advertising Universal Event Tracking using Stape and Google Tag Manager?

Microsoft Advertising Universal Event Tracking tag type, which is otherwise available in non-server-side Google Tag Manager containers (see screenshot below) is missing from server-side Google Tag Manager Containers. Do you maybe know for a solution?

Thanks, Alex

bing

Unfortunately, server-tracking for Advertising Universal is not possible until Microsoft does not support server-to-server tracking.

In our blog post, you can find the find list of platforms that currently support s2s tracking.

What determines if a platform supports Server Side Tracking or not? I’m not talking about what templates exists at the moment, can’t we agree to that one can always opt to try to make their own template for a platform not on the list?

To check if the platform support server-side tracking, you need to check their documentation in terms if they provide such API or write to their support.

I stumpled upon this articles of yours Google Tag Manager Server-Side Tracking - Stape where you state that

At the same time, you can move Facebook, Universal analytics, GA4, Snapchat, Bing, Reddit, Pinterest, Yandex, Klaviyo (and some other email platforms) to a server-side tagging.

where you explicitly mention Bing. So, how do we move Bing to server-side tagging?

Bing Ads server to server tracking - AnyTrack Documentation seems to have overcome the issue with Bing

Bing Postback URL

Bing does not provide a postback URL.

Instead, they provide a javascript pixel that marketers add to the website. To get over this challenge, AnyTrack has fully integrated the Bing Tracking Methodologies so you can send conversions from any affiliate network, CRM, API or website to Bing.

Hi,

This is quite interesting and we have to look into this for sure, however you should keep in mind that is by far not an official solution, and from the looks of it seems to be proprietary to AnyTrack:

Instead, they provide a javascript pixel that marketers add to the website. To get over this challenge, AnyTrack has fully integrated the Bing Tracking Methodologies

I have some healthy doubts as to how good this “full integration” actually works - need to test it first.
If you end up giving it a shot, I would highly appreciate some feedback.

Meanwhile, there is no API listed by Microsoft for conversion reporting, they offer the standard UET tag approach, which, as you said, you could do on web-container already.

1 Like

@Dan Sorry I know this thread was a long time ago, but Bing actually does support this, via its offline conversions API :slight_smile:

Some helpful info:

So subject to figuring out the auth in a server-side GTM context, should be doable

1 Like

Hey @billinghamj thanks for this! Makes a lot of sense, we will definitely look into developing a tag for it.

1 Like

@billinghamj And tag is Ready GitHub - stape-io/microsoft-ads-offline-conversion-tag: Microsoft Advertising Offline Conversion tag for Google Tag Manager Server Side

Soon we publish documentation and how to for it.

3 Likes

I would love to see the instructions on how to use this. Will it be published in the GTM Community Templates?

This will be in GTM Community Templates.
We will publish “How to” soon.

How does this actually work and why is Firebase necessary to get this going? Zaraz fully supports this and their code is located here:

Seems like it should be possible to build a template for this that would work just like Zaraz does (and TikTok, Facebook etc) without any need for Firebase?

We are in the process of migrating off Zaraz and Bing is the only bit left.

Its not clear why the pixel needs credentials stored in Firebase as mentioned in the blog:

Because the Zaraz one only needs the UET Tag ID and from what I can tell it is basically just cloning what the client side pixel does and submits the same data to the same endpoints?

Firebase is required for authorisation to work as Oauth2 is used.

And it’s not emulating how the web pixel works just on the server (which in my experience usually doesn’t work very well, as most web pixels still expect third party cookies to work - which you don’t emulate in any way on the server container), it’s sending conversions as offline conversions to Bing, so it works differently.

Ok maybe Zaraz works differently as it does bring the cookies over into their sandbox and allow the cookies to be set. But I thought sGTM allowed for the JavaScript that runs on the server to be able to set cookies as server side cookies?

I wonder if the bing script is actually loaded on the page at some point with Zaraz so it can set the client side cookies?

They support sending all the e-commerce events over to Bing as well, but I get the impression the Stape one just sends conversion events when a customer buys a product? Or am I missing something and if actually passes all the e-commerce events over as well? If so I guess I will give it a try and see how it works.

I’ve never looked at how it works in Zaraz, so unfortunately I can’t tell you on that.
Through the sGTM tag you can send any conversions (events) you need and set up as conversions on the Bing side.